County offers Fix-It Clinics
Don’t thrown out that broken toaster just yet.
Hennepin County Environmental Services is hosting several area Fix-It Clinics with volunteers to help you repair broken items that would otherwise need to be replaced.
Hennepin County, as part of its waste reduction efforts, is asking residents to sort through basements, closets and garages for clothing and household items that need repair. At the Fix-It Clinics, skilled volunteers will help you learn to disassemble, troubleshoot and fix your broken household items and electronics, clothing in need of mending, and more.
The Fix-It Clinics are scheduled in Brooklyn Center, Minneapolis, Bloomington and Plymouth.
The first clinic is from 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 12, at Lyndale Farmstead Park Recreation Center, 3900 Bryant Ave. S., Minneapolis.
The remaining schedule this year is:
- Noon – 3 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 9, Brookdale Library, 6125 Shingle Creek Parkway, Brooklyn Center
- Noon – 3 p.m. Saturday, March 9, TC Maker Hack Factory, 3119 E. 26th St., Minneapolis
- 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday, April 13, South Minneapolis Housing Fair, Minneapolis Sports Center at the YWCA 2121 E. Lake St., Minneapolis
- Noon – 3 p.m. Saturday, May 11, Hennepin County Library – Plymouth, 15700 36th Ave. N., Plymouth
- Noon – 4 p.m. Saturday, June 15, Bloomington Center for the Arts, 1800 W. Old Shakopee Road, Bloomington
“The Fix-It Clinics are designed to reduce the amount of stuff that gets thrown in the trash, teach valuable troubleshooting and basic repair skills, and build community connections,” says Nancy Lo, Hennepin County Environmental Services.
Volunteer fixers – or “Fix-It Coaches” – with skills in soldering, electronics and electrical repair, sewing, woodworking or general tinkering are needed to make these events successful.
The clinics are first-come, first-served – there’s no pre-registration. Bring in an item and you’ll be helped by a volunteer with repair skills. It must be carry-in (no oversized items). Please bring any tools that might be helpful, a digital camera to document the disassembly, and small boxes or bags to organize and carry home parts. These events are family-friendly.
Info: www.hennepin.us/fixitclinic or call 612-348-3777.