Shots fired in the street after exes argue

Brooklyn Center woman arrested, charged with assault
By Katy Zillmer
Sun Post Newspapers

Nakia Shepard
Nakia Shepard

A Brooklyn Center couple trying to reconcile from a previous argument ended up in another Jan. 27 – only this one ended in gunfire.
Three shots were fired in the 4500 block of Winchester Lane in Brooklyn Center shortly after 3 a.m. Jan. 27. The incident started after the former couple agreed to meet and reconcile from an argument. As the man and the woman yelled at each other from two separate vehicles, the woman, Nakia Chairsse Shepard, allegedly fired a 9mm handgun at her ex, according to a Brooklyn Center Police Department criminal complaint.
Shepard, a 36-year-old Brooklyn Center resident, was with her sister when she called her ex-boyfriend to talk through their problems, according to the complaint.
The man, identified as “DDH,” told police he drove to Shepard’s home and noticed her outside the driveway in her sister’s vehicle. He told police Shepard began yelling at him and, as he started to drive away, heard her sister yell, “don’t do it, don’t do it.” He told police he heard three shots as he drove away, according to the complaint.
The man called the police while Shepard went inside her home on Winchester Lane, according to the complaint. He drew a map of the home’s interior and told officers at the scene there were three children, ages 5, 11, and 17, inside. According to the complaint, he told police Shepard keeps her gun in her bedroom.
Police officers attempted to make contact with Shepard using a loudspeaker. She let the three children out of the house and surrendered after speaking with negotiators for 20 minutes, according to the criminal complaint.
Investigators spoke with Shepard’s sister, who said they thought her ex-boyfriend was following them. She described the incident with yelling between Shepard and her ex-boyfriend and told police she thought her sister was just trying to scare him, according to the complaint.
Shepard reportedly told her sister she did not care that the police were on their way and that she was going to sleep.
After her arrest, Shepard told police she purchased the gun one year ago because of her ex-boyfriend and had never shot it, according to the complaint. She also told police she was arguing with her ex-boyfriend on the phone when they were both driving on Jan. 27.
Shepard was arrested and told police, “I could have shot him in the face. I just shot to scare him,” according to the complaint.
Shepard is charged with second-degree assault with a firearm, which carries a sentence of three to seven years in prison and the possibility of a $4,200 to $14,000 fine.
Shepard posted bond and was released from Hennepin County Jail, according to the online jail roster. Her first court appearance is Tuesday, Feb. 26.

Contact Katy Zillmer at [email protected]