Charges filed in Feb. 3 shooting in Brooklyn Park

A Minneapolis man shot twice in a Brooklyn Park residence Feb. 3 now faces two felony charges.

Police believe the suspected shooter, who was released from custody Feb. 5, acted in self-defense.

Chase Daymonejeffrey Dent-Wells, age 24, faces one count of second-degree assault and one count of being a prohibited person in possession of a firearm. If convicted, he faces up to seven years in prison on the assault charge and up to 15 years in prison on the firearm possession charge.

Dent-Wells has been convicted of two drug-related felonies and was ineligible to possess a gun.

Police found Dent-Wells with multiple gunshot wounds around 4:30 a.m. in a home on the 1800 block of Pearson Parkway in Brooklyn Park. He was taken to North Memorial Hospital in critical condition Feb. 3. He survived and his condition stabilized.

The alleged shooter, a 55-year-old Brooklyn Park man, also has a criminal history, including second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon, domestic assault and making terroristic threats. He was arrested Feb. 3 on suspicion of assault and being a felon in possession of a firearm.

When the charging deadline came Feb. 5, the suspected shooter was released pending further review by the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office. Police issued a statement saying law enforcement and the county attorney’s office agreed the suspect’s release posed no threat to the public. They did not elaborate, due to the ongoing investigation.

Details of the case became public when Dent-Wells was charged Feb. 20.

According to the criminal complaint, Dent-Wells had dated the suspected shooter’s daughter, identified in the complaint as P.A.M. She had recently broken up with Dent-Wells.

Police say Dent-Wells grew angry and repeatedly telephoned and sent text messages to P.A.M. and posted “threatening and derogatory” comments about her online.

P.A.M. told her family about the breakup and Dent-Wells’ behavior. Police said there had also been many prior reports of Dent-Wells assaulting P.A.M.

According to the complaint, Dent-Wells knocked on a downstairs window of a house on Pearson Parkway around 4 a.m. Feb. 3 and asked P.A.M. to let him in. Before letting Dent-Wells in, she alerted her father, who was sleeping upstairs.

P.A.M.’s father descended the stairs with a .22 caliber handgun and told Dent-Wells to leave. When Dent-Wells refused and began adjusting a 9 mm handgun in his waistband, the complaint says P.A.M.’s father fired two warning shots.

According to the complaint, Dent-Wells pulled his gun and pointed it at P.A.M.’s father, who then shot Dent-Wells twice. At least one shot struck him in the head. Falling to the ground, Dent-Wells reportedly said, “It’s not over.”

P.A.M.’s father placed Dent-Wells’ handgun in a drawer and his own gun on a counter, then called 911 and reported that he’d shot his daughter’s ex-boyfriend. When police arrived, P.A.M.’s father walked outside to meet them.

Dent-Wells was in being held Feb. 21 in lieu of $150,000 bail.

The Hennepin County Attorney’s Office would not say it had ruled out all charges against the suspected shooter.

Contact Jonathan Young at [email protected]