Brooklyn Center Community Schools’ Board of Education, as well as leadership staff, are interviewing six finalists for the District 286 superintendent position on Friday, March 1, and Saturday, March 2. Current Supt. Keith Lester is retiring in July after eight years in the school district.
Lester announced his retirement in April 2012 with plans to step down at the end of June last year. The Board of Education extended its time to search for a new superintendent and Lester agreed to work on an interim basis until a replacement is hired.
Board members and staff interviewed candidates for the position in fall 2012, but did not find a person who met the criteria. They are seeking a new superintendent with experience in that role or at the assistant superintendent level as well as in a diverse, urban school district.
Sandy Gundlach, the director of school board services for the Minnesota School Boards Association, met with the Board of Education Monday and announced the interview candidates.
• Mark Bonine, associate superintendent, Minneapolis Public Schools;
• Elia Dimayuga-Bruggeman, assistant commissioner of education, Minnesota Department of Education;
• Willie Jett, assistant superintendent, St. Paul Public Schools;
• Raymond Queener, assistant superintendent, Stillwater Area Public Schools
• M. Donnell Tenner, special education director intern, Shakopee Public Schools, and;
• Laura VanDuyn, director, State Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA) with Contra Costa County in Concord, Calif.
Gundlach said the MSBA received 17 applications before the Feb. 15 deadline. Each candidate selected for an interview has at least 20 years of experience in education.
The board revised its list of interview questions on Monday. Important criteria for a superintendent in the district include experience with community schools, grant writing, legislation and the ability to connect with kids and leadership staff.
If the board selects a finalist for the superintendent position after the interviews and site visits in March, the contract would be finalized in April. The new superintendent would start their contract on July 1. The interviews will be held in the media center at Brooklyn Center High School, 6500 Humboldt Ave. N.
Contact Katy Zillmer at [email protected]