Update: Daycare at Brookdale Christian Center relocates after explosion

Crews from CenterPoint Energy restored power at the Brookdale Christian Center Feb. 28, two days after an explosion in the boiler room. The church space in the building was not damaged. The day care is operating at a different church in the area while the staff determine if it can open again at Brookdale. (Sun Post staff photo by Katy Zillmer)

Inspections to determine the exact cause of the explosion in the boiler room at Brookdale Christian Center are ongoing. There is significant damage in the lower level of the building, including a portion of the ceiling that is collapsed, according to Fire Chief Lee Gatlin The church space in the building was not damaged. The day care is operating at a different church in the area while the staff determine if it can open again at Brookdale. (Sun Post staff photo by Katy Zillmer)

Brookdale Christian Center’s day care has moved into a temporary space at another church after a Feb. 26 explosion in the boiler room, according to day care director Barb Cilke.

The explosion caused significant damage to the day care space

A teacher with six children in her classroom heard the explosion and the building’s alarms and immediately took the children outside to her car, Cilke said. No one was injured in the explosion and staff from the church were not in the building when it occurred at about 4:30 p.m. Feb. 26.

It could have been much worse, Cilke described.

One parent picked up their child from the nursery and left the building minutes before the explosion, Cilke said.

The day care is on the lower level of the south end of the building, 6030 Xerxes Ave. N., which was built in the late 1950s, Cilke said. There has been one addition to the existing building and a church was built in the 1980s.

CenterPoint Energy crews disconnected the natural gas line to the lower level of the building after the explosion. Natural gas was turned on in the remainder of the building to provide heat.

The damage to the day care space leaves Cilke with more questions than answers about its future.

“The destruction in that end of the building its such that it’s … we won’t know. We just won’t know,” she said. “It looks pretty hopeless to me.”

Brooklyn Center Fire Chief Lee Gatlin said the explosion occurred in the boiler room and the damage from it was all north of the day care, luckily.

Windows in the south end of the building were shattered due to the explosion and remained boarded up from the outside last week. Inspections for insurance purposes and to determine the exact cause of the explosion occurred last Thursday.

Gatlin said the estimated damage to the building is in excess of $300,000 to $400,000.

Cilke stressed how fortunate they are that no one was injured in the explosion.
“It can be replaced, it’s a building,” she said. “It’s a thing, it’s not a person.”

Contact Katy Zillmer at katy.zillmer@ecm-inc.com

 

 

 

Hello Katy,

 

In the story below, it references CenterPoint Energy restoring power.  We are the natural gas company and while we did disconnect their natural gas service to the area where they had an issue inside, we provided natural gas service to the remaining structure that was not damaged so they had heat.  We are not an electricity provider in Minnesota.

Can you correct the story online?

up arrow