July’s Crystal Frolics are still weeks away, but organizers are already beginning the festivities, in a way.
Beginning Friday, June 5, West Metro residents can register their purchased Frolics buttons to have their name entered into weekly drawings for prizes provided by area businesses, including mainstays like the Crystal VFW, Lions Club, and Almsted’s Fresh Market.
The Frolics’ trademark buttons will act as “tickets,” so to speak for the drawing. Residents can purchase buttons from any of several locations across the city and register them on the festival’s website – crystalfrolics.org – for a chance to win.
“We’ve made 1,500 buttons,” said organizer Lynn Haney. “We’re hoping we have to go back and make more.”
Each button costs $2, and residents can purchase as many as they wish. Prize winners will be announced each Friday morning on the Frolics’ website and via its Facebook page. Depending on the number of prizes provided, there may be more than one awarded each week.
“All of the prizes were donated,” Haney explained. “So the money we make from the buttons will go directly to pay for services at the Crystal Frolics.”
Haney said proceeds from the button drawings will go towards festival security.
The design emblazoned on each button is the result of a contest held earlier in the spring.
Each year, kids in grades K-5 have been encouraged to submit designs for the Frolic’s buttons, and the Crystal Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission chooses three winning designs and places the first place design on all of the buttons sold during that year’s Frolics.
First place this year was awarded to Amanda Bratsch, a fifth grader at Meadowbrook Elementary. Bratsch won a $200 gift card donated by the Armstrong Cooper Youth Hockey Association and her design will be used for the buttons sold leading up to the festival.
Second place went to Zoe Falkowski, a fifth grader at the School of Engineering and Arts, who won a $75 gift card donated by the Crystal Police Association.
St. Raphael’s fourth grader Duffy Watson took home third place, and won a $25 gift card, which was also donated by the police association.
Where to purchase buttons
Here is a list of locations where residents can purchase buttons:
• Starbucks, 5537 W. Broadway Ave.
• Associated Bank, 7001 Bass Lake Rd.
• Almsted’s Fresh Market, 4200 Douglas Dr. N.
• Crystal Community Center, 4800 Douglas Dr. N.
• Crystal City Hall, 4141 Douglas Dr. N.
• Tom Slupske at REMAX, 13784 83rd Way N. #200, Maple Grove
• Hawk Realty, 7600 Bass Lake Rd. #102
• Northridge Health and Rehab, 5500 Boone Ave. N., New Hope
• Crystal VFW Post #494, 5222 Bass Lake Rd.
As of May 21, prizes included the following:
• A free teeth cleaning from Herzing University
• $20 gift card from Starbucks
• Two $20 gift certificates from the Crystal VFW
• Two free steak dinners from the Crystal Lions Club at their monthly steak fries
• $15 off any purchase at Scout
• $15 off a fresh floral purchase at Cardell Floral
• $20 gift card to Nonna Rosa’s in Robbinsdale
• Two $25 gift cards from Milton’s
• Pool passes to the Crystal Aquatic Center, courtesy of the Crystal Recreation Department
• $25 gift certificate to Almsted’s
• $50 gift certificate to Pub 42 in New Hope, courtesy of Hawk Realty
Contact Joe Bowen at [email protected]