Looking for a place to enjoy summer softball, browse an arts and crafts fair, take a spin on some carnival rides, dance to live music and enjoy fair food? Look no further than Duk Duk Daze, New Hope’s annual summer festival Friday to Sunday, July 14-16, at Northwood Park, 3815 Boone Ave. N.
“I think it’s just a great family fun community event to attend,” said Brad Westlund, a New Hope Lion and Duk Duk Daze coordinator. “There’s something for everyone.”
The theme of the family favorite kiddie parade is “It’s a bug’s life.” Festival goers are sure to see some creative insect costumes and habitats.
The Minnesota Vikings organization will have the original Gjallarhorn on display 5-9 p.m. Friday.
Other new features this year include a performance by New Hope Dance Team at noon Saturday and West Metro Fire-Rescue District Waterball Battle at 3 p.m. Saturday.
Attendees can listen to Tugboat Rampage, a variety band, Friday night or Grayhawk, a pop and rock band, Saturday night. At dusk both nights, find a spot to sit to view the firework shows.
The event, hosted by the New Hope Lions Club, is supported by sponsors Hy-Vee, Cub Foods, Pub 42, Frankie’s Chicago Style Bar & Restaurant, The Residence at North Ridge, the Minnesota Vikings and additional organizations and businesses. Area organizations that partner to make the event possible include Armstrong Cooper Youth Hockey Association, Broadway Rental, Crystal Kitchen Center, New Hope Crime Prevention Fund, New Hope Police Reserve, New Hope Women of Today, Plymouth New Hope Little League Baseball, West Metro Fire-Rescue District and more organizations.
Boone Avenue will be closed from noon Thursday until 10 p.m. Sunday.
No pets or coolers are allowed at the park.
Donations for fireworks will be accepted via Paypal to [email protected]
Schedule of events
Friday July 14
• 5-9 p.m. Softball-men’s league only, Arts and Craft Fair, Minnesota Vikings Gjallarhorn, Three Rivers Park District activities, tattoos and caricatures, Giant Jenga
• 5-11 p.m. Carnival rides
• 5:30-9 p.m. kiddie games
• 5-11:30 p.m. Cash BINGO
• 7-11:30 p.m. Live Music
• Dusk – Fireworks
Saturday, July 15
11 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
• 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Softball -men’s league only
• 11 a.m. Kiddie Parade
• Noon New Hope Dance Team performance, bean bag tourney
• Noon to 11 p.m. Carnival rides
• Noon to 11:30 p.m. Cash BINGO
• Noon to 2 p.m. Drunk driving and distracted driver simulators
• Noon to 9 p.m. Arts and Craft Fair, Giant Jenga, kiddie games, tattoos and caricatures
• 1 p.m. West Metro Fire Hose Demo
• 1-9 p.m. Three Rivers Park District live animals and slacklining
• 3 p.m. West Metro Waterball Battle
• 7-11 p.m. Live Music
• Dusk – Fireworks
Sunday, July 16
Noon to 5 p.m.
• 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Softball-men’s league only
• Noon to 5 p.m. Carnival rides, Cash BINGO, Arts and Craft Fair, Three Rivers Park District activities, kiddie games, tattoos and caricatures
• 2 p.m. Frankie’s Pizza Eating Contest
• 3 p.m. Beanie Boo and Hot Wheels Walk