Fire guts Brooklyn Center residence Aug. 15

A residence on the 5500 block of Logan Avenue was boarded up after falling prey to a Tuesday, Aug. 15 fire. None of the house’s residents were injured in the blaze. (Sun Post staff photo by Christiaan Tarbox)

A Brooklyn Center family was displaced after a massive fire gutted their household.

On Tuesday, Aug. 15, Brooklyn Center firefighters responded to a 9:23 a.m. fire overwhelming a residence on the 5500 block of Logan Avenue, where the building was ultimately left uninhabitable.

“Upon arrival, we had heavy, thick, turbulent smoke coming out of the bravo side of the structure,” said Brooklyn Center Deputy Fire Chief Gary Hendrickson. “After doing a primary search, no one was home. The occupants had left earlier in the day, evidently. We extinguished the fire, which took quite a bit of resources. We had difficulty in trying to determine where the fire was at.”

It took approximately two-and-a-half hours and the combined efforts of the Brooklyn Center, Fridley, Robbinsdale and West Metro fire departments to extinguish the blaze, which is currently under investigation. Hendrickson offered the possibility of the fire being caused by an electrical issue, but would not confirm that either way.

Hendrickson said that the house would have to be torn down and replaced, though the occupants managed to find temporary housing in the meantime.

“Unlike a lot of fires that we have, this individual actually had some renter’s insurance, so they were put up by their insurance policy someplace else,” said Hendrickson. “It’s always nice to hear when they have that, as opposed to the (alternative).”

Contact Christiaan Tarbox at [email protected]